|Trout Lake is in Michigan's upper peninsula, about
25 miles northwest of the Straits of Mackinaw. Two lines crossed there. Photo
above shows Soo Line
1003 on August 1999 excursion.
The first line, from Marquette to St. Ignace, was built
by the Detroit, Mackinac & Marquette around 1880. In 1886 that railroad
became part of the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic.
The other line was built between 1884 and 1887, by the
Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Ry. It was built as a
transcontinental link, connecting to the Canadian Pacific at Sault Ste.
Both lines became part of the Soo Line. In 1984 the line
south from Trout Lake, to St. Ignace was abandoned. In 1987 all Soo Line
tracks in Michigan were sold to Wisconsin Central.
|The Trout Lake depot is still in use by Wisconsin Central.
They have a reputation of taking care of what they own. So one might guess
that WC remodeled the depot, and likely covered over many doors and windows
in the process. Compare the view below with the old postcard view at the
bottom of this page.