Sebewaing, Michigan depot; August 2002
||The Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron Railroad was formed
in 1881, to build a 3' gauge railroad from East Saginaw to Bad Axe. In April
1882, the line opened from Saginaw to Sebewaing. It reached Bad Axe
in July 1886.
|In May of 1891, the railroad was converted to standard
gauge. The Pere Marquette railroad took control of the ST&H in 1900,
first by a lease, then bought it in 1903. In 1947 the Pere Marquette was
taken over by the C&O, which in turn became part of CSX.
The Huron & Eastern Railway was formed in 1985, to
operate railroads in Michigan's thumb area. In 1986 they bought the tracks
from Kinde to Croswell, and in 1988 bought the tracks from Saginaw, through
Sebewaing, to Bad Axe. The Huron & Eastern Railway has since become part
of the RailAmerica
Track Side, August 2002.
Waiting Room End, August 2002.
|The depot was probably built in 1882, when the railroad
first reached Sebewaing . In the summer of 2002, the depot was vacant and
in need of paint. Otherwise, it seemed to be in pretty good condition.
Another very similar depot, also built by the Saginaw,
Tuscola and Huron Railroad stands in
This page sponsored by: