|Rails through Lawton were laid by the Michigan Central
Railroad in 1848, as the railroad built west from Kalamazoo toward Lake Michigan.
In 1849 trains began running into New Buffalo. Terms of the railroad's charter
were fulfilled and a rail line now spanned the lower peninsula.
The station was built by the Michigan Central, probably
replacing an earlier structure. The tracks west of Kalamazoo are now owned
by Amtrak. Lawton is no longer a stop, but sees eight Amtrak trains a day
pass by. The well maintained building appears to be owned by the local VFW,
with part of the building rented as commercial space. The pole barn east
of the station is an Amtrak track maintence facility.