|The route running north-south through Lapeer was built
by the Detroit & Bay City Railroad in 1873. In 1881 the D&BC was
leased for life to the Michigan Central. Traffic was fairly heavy on the
line at one time. The 1938 Michigan Central timetable lists four passenger
trains a day stopping in Lapeer.
The plans for creating Conrail out of the bankrupt Penn
Central did not include the former New York Central line from Detroit to
Bay City. Operations stopped in March of 1976. Tracks through Lapeer were
removed in 1978. Part of this route farther north, from Millington, to Munger
is still in use. It is operated by the Huron and Eastern, part of the
The depot is built of brick with cut stone trim and a tile
roof; a durable and attractive design typical of other Michigan Central depots.
This particular example was built in 1905.