Elkton, Michigan depot; August 2002
||The Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron Railroad was formed
in 1881, to build a 3' gauge railroad from East Saginaw to Bad Axe. In April
1882, the line opened from Saginaw to Sebewaing. It reached Bad Axe
in July 1886.
|In May of 1891, the railroad was converted to standard
gauge. The Pere Marquette railroad took control of the ST&H in 1900,
first by a lease, then bought it in 1903. The Pere Marquette was taken over
by the C&O in 1947, which in turn became part of CSX.
The Huron & Eastern Railway was formed in 1985, to
operate railroads in Michigan's thumb area. In 1986 they bought the tracks
from Kinde to Croswell, and in 1988 bought the tracks from Saginaw, through
Elkton, to Bad Axe. The Huron & Eastern Railway has since become part
of the RailAmerica
Track Side, August 2002.
Waiting Room End, August 2002.
|The Elkton depot was built in 1884, as the railroad
was building toward Bad Axe. Sometime, probably in the late 1980's the depot
was sold by the railroad and moved a few blocks to the north. It is now open
as an antiques store.
Depot in its original location in the early 1970's.
(From RRHX / Jim Slater Collection)
This page sponsored by: