|The Columbiaville depot was built by the lumber millionaire,
William Peter in 1893. The building was designed by the firm of Shepley,
Rutan & Coolidge. This firm continued the works of the renowned architect
Henry Hobson Richardson after his death.
The depot was turned over to the Detroit-Bay City Railroad
Company, part of the Michigan Central, in hopes that the attractive, new
depot would further Peter's many businesses in the area. It is a very elaborate
design in the Romanesque and Queen Anne styles popular at the time. Brick
walls are trimmed with cut stone and terra cotta tiles. Arched window and
door openings have leaded glass.The hip roof is a very complex design and
has small gables above the doors.
The depot has the same roof lines, and trim very similar
to a later Michigan Central depot, in Three Oaks
Passenger service ended in 1964. Tracks have since been
removed. The depot is now used by the Columbiaville Rotary Club.