Former Grand Trunk Depot, Cassopolis, MI, October 2003
||Cassopolis is in far SW Michigan, about 25 miles northwest
of South Bend. It was a station on the Grand Trunk mainline running from
Port Huron to Chicago.
|The Grand Trunk depot now in Cassopolis, was originally
built in Granger, Indiana in 1888. It is said to have had a witche's hat
roof when built. The Granger station closed some time in the early 1930's.
The depot was moved by rail 12 miles to the northeast to serve as the Cassopolis
passenger station. The older depot in Cassopolis was then used for freight
At one time the Cassopolis depot was quite a busy place.
The 1924 Grand Trunk timetable shows all passenger trains to or from Chicago,
10 a day, stopping in Cassopolis.
|Cassopolis remained a passenger train stop through
at least 1968, and probably until Amtrak relieved
the Grand Trunk of all passenger train responsibilities in 1970. The railroad
used the depot until about 1988. It sat vacant for four years before it was
bought by Robert Hibbard. He moved the depot about 600 feet down the
street, and restored it as a small town depot. There is also a
Grand Trunk caboose on the
Tracks through Cassopolis remain fairly busy, but with
freight trains only. The Grand Trunk was always controlled by Canadian National
Railroad. It was operated under a separate name because it was in the United
States, but now has been merged into CN.
Cassopolis Depot, beside Grand Trunk Tracks.