|The Bloomingdale depot was built in 1870 by the Kalamazoo
and South Haven Rail Road. In July 1871 this line was leased to the Michigan
Central. Bloomingdale was founded as the railroad was being built. The line
was abandoned in 1970, and later became the Kal-Haven bike trail.
At one time, this was a fairly busy passenger route. The
1902 MC timetable shows four daily
passenger trains, and two daily mixed trains serving Bloomingdale, except
on Sunday when there was only one train each way. Passenger service lasted
until July 1, 1937, but by then service had been downgraded to a single mixed
train each way.
The building is very nicely maintained and open to the public
as a museum.
Two other depots from the Kalamazoo-South Haven line are still
standing in South Haven, and