BIG RAPIDS, MI

Big Rapids, MI Depot, March 1998

The depot in Big Rapids was built by the Grand Rapids & Indiana RR, which was taken over by the Pennsylvania RR in the 1920's. When PennCentral took over, it sold the line north of Grand Rapids to the State of Michigan. For many years the line was operated by the Michigan Northern. The state money ran out and the tracks were removed in the 1980's. The depot itself was nicely restored and open for years as a resturant. However, as of March 1998 the building was vacant.


North End


Street Side


Track Side

May 1998, Updated June 2000
Louis Van Winkle
E-mail questions or comments to
louisvw@mc.net

Michigan Passenger Stations Home Page

This page sponsored by: