BEVERLY SHORES, IN
Beverly Shores depot with CSS&SB freight engine
Beverly Shores Station, October 2001

The Beverly Shores station was built in 1929 by the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend RR, an electric interurban line owned by Samual Insull. The Spanish Colonial Revival style was a refreshing change of style for midwest stations of the era. The station had a small waiting room, ticket office, and a residence for the station agent.

At one time there were ten other stations just like Beverly Shores, some built as mirror images. The Lake Shore station, just west of Beverly Shores, was one such station . It was torn down sometime in the 1990's. Nine other stations were built by the Insull owned, Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee, in 1926 as part of its new Skokie Valley bypass. Stations there included Harmswood, Glennayre, Northbrook, Briergate, Sheridan Elms and Skokie Manor. Most stations were torn down when the North Shore was abandoned in 1963. Only Briergate, in Highland Park, IL, remains, now with a large commercial addition covering two sides. .

Summer of 1997 saw the last intact Insull Spanish style station, Beverly Shores, boarded up, with a badly leaking roof, in a slow slide back to nature.(front door) (front) (back)

Commuter service on the South Shore is now handled by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. They obtained federal funding for a restoration of Beverly Shores. In 1998 the depot was totally rebuilt. The roof was stripped off. Rotten boards were replaced, copper flashing and gutters were installed, and the tiles replaced. Exterior stucco was repaired, and the outside was repainted. On the inside, 4 feet of water and two 4 foot long snakes were removed from the basement. Walls and plaster were repaired. The water damage was so bad, the contractor said it would have been easier to tear the building down and start over. Most of the studs inside the walls were rotten. They had to be cut out and replaced, one by one.

The waiting room is still used for its original purpose. The part of the building which was the residence was converted to a museum/art galery, The Beverly Shores Depot Museum and Art Gallery.

Agent's residence/Ticket Office/Waiting Room
Street Side, October 2001

Living Room, March 1998, note Fireplace
Restoring the Livingroom of agent's residence, 1998.

Sign was repainted and has new neon tubes
Waiting Room, October 2001.

Michigan Passenger Stations Home Page

E-mail questions or comments to louisvw@mc.net

Do you have an old picture of the station?

May 1998, Updated August 2003
Louis Van Winkle

This page sponsored by:
 
Looks Like Paper Models