BAD AXE, MI
Bad Axe, Michigan depot; August 2002
||In 1878 the Port Huron & North Western started
a 3-foot gauge railroad into Michigan's thumb area, to serve the lumber industry.
The first segment of this line, Port Huron to Croswell, opened in May of
1879. By December 1882, the line was completed, through Bad Axe, to Port
Austin, on the tip of Michigan's thumb. In 1889 the Port Huron & North
Western was sold to the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad and the tracks
were converted to standard gauge.
|The Pere Marquette was taken over by the C&O, which
in turn became part of CSX. In the 1990's CSX abandoned the tracks between
Port Huron and Croswell. The remainder of the line was sold to the Huron
& Eastern Railway, which became part of the
Track Side, August 2002.
Street Side, August 2002.
Waiting Room End, Street Side of depot.
Freight Room End, Street Side of depot.