|Augusta is located between Kalamazoo
and Battle Creek. The Michigan Central built its line through there in 1845.
In 1852 the line was completed to Chicago, and Augusta found itself on a
very busy route between Detroit and Chicago.
Augusta's depot was built in 1852,
at the south end of Webster Street. At one time, it was a stop for eight
passenger trains a day. The railroad employed switchmen around the clock
to assist trains moving through the depot area.
Of course this level of activity did
not last. By 1975, the depot sat unused. The Augusta Bicentennial Committee
purchased the depot for $1 from the Penn Central Railroad. It was moved to
a new foundation in the village park. The awnings, which had been lost over
the years were replaced, and new signs were made. Many items, including the
original desk and passenger bench were donated. The Augusta Depot Museum
was created as a Bicentennial project to preserve an important historic
This depot is probably the state's
second oldest surviving depot. The oldest being
which was built in 1850.